Cadboro Bay Village is a small but vibrant commercial area in the District of Saanich, only a fifteen minute drive from downtown Victoria. Home to over 28 businesses, mainly situated along the block of Cadboro Bay Road that runs between Sinclair Street and Penrhyn Street, the Village is surrounded by over 1500 households in the neighbourhoods of Cadboro Bay, Queenswood and Ten Mile Point and is nested between the University of Victoria and a a large crescent shaped beach, one of only two sandy beaches in the area.
With amenities that range from groceries and drug store, hair salons, a spa, gifts, cards and jewellery, cafes, restaurants, a pub, mechanic and gas, travel arrangements and financial services, Cadboro Bay Village offers a little something for everyone.
The following is a brief history of the Cadboro Bay area taken from the District of Saanich Arts, Heritage & Archives:
Cadboro Bay is bounded on three sides by water, and contains three neighbourhoods: the Village, Queenswood, and Ten Mile Point. Historically, the Cadboro Bay shoreline was home to the Songhees First Nations, and a number of archaeological sites have been identified along the shoreline. The bay was named after the Hudson’s Bay Company brig Cadboro, which sailed into the bay in 1837. By 1850, seventeen employees lived in the area, employed by the Hudson’s Bay Company Uplands Farm that was located on the plateau area now occupied by the University of Victoria. In 1861, Vancouver Island’s first telegraph connection was made between Telegraph Cove and Olympia, Washington. Telegraph Cove was also the site of the Husdon’s Bay Company dock and in 1895 became the location of the explosives plant of the Giant Powder Company of San Francisco. The flat, inland portions of Cadboro Bay continued to develop as farms, and the area around Cadboro Bay beach became a seaside resort as early as 1900. The Cadboro Bay Beach Hotel was opened in 1920, and was a popular attraction until it was destroyed by fire in 1930. City water mains were extended to the Village in the 1920s, and the surrounding farmland was gradually subdivided and developed as residential property.